Friday, 6 November 2015

Little Mix - Get Weird (Album) (2015)


Little Mix have gone from strength to strength since becoming the first group to win The X Factor in the show’s extensive history, back in 2011. The record setting four-piece have since delivered hit after hit, going on to amass sales of 12 million worldwide, quickly becoming one of the most successful UK girlbands of all time. With the release of their third collection, Get Weird, acting as the follow-up to their Platinum-certified albums DNA and Salute, let’s look at whether they’ve managed to attain the same pop-loving standards with the latest offering…

We’ve already heard the insanely infectious singles - Black Magic and shal-la-la-la’ing Love Me Like You - and been treated to a diverse selection of promotional singles in the run up to the album release with Hair, Weird People, Lightning, Grown all emphasising the multi-layered talents and directions the quartet are heading with this album. Check out my ranking of the 16 deluxe album tracks below.

Weird People
Love Me Or Leave Me
Black Magic
Love Me Like You 
Secret Love Song
Secret Love Song (Pt. II)
Grown
The End
I Won't
OMG
Hair
A.D.I.D.A.S
Clued Up
I Love You
Lightning
The Beginning


This is a set of songs where even my least favourite, still manages to be something quite wonderful.  Lightning is an older DNA that showcases the girl's progression and development since their fist album, straying from the album's sound but excellently illustrating their versatility. The most fun is had on Weird People, Black Magic, Grown, OMG, I Won't, Hair and the cheeky A.D.I.D.A.S; which encompass perfectly how much fun Perrie, Jade, Jesy and Leigh-Anne are having on this record. The opposite side of the spectrum - tracks like Love me Or Leave Me, I Love You and Secret Love Song - portray their emotion, vocals and talent incredibly, leaving for some really touching moments.  The End and The Beginning are incredibly poignant, performed entirely acapella, although the latter is far too short.


Get Weird is their sleekest and most stylish set to date, although lacking the sophistication from the sophomore Salute, taking and running with the pop vibes, not batting an eyelid about it in the process, which I personally prefer (although this does not take away from how astounding Salute was). Vibrant and vivacious, the album is bursting with colour, rarely slipping up on the pop charm offensive that the girls embrace, now more than ever. An incredible third album.


To celebrate 1 Year of Get Weird, I've decided to revisit my ranking of the 16 tracks across the deluxe edition of the album. Has much changed? Check out below...

Grown
Hair
Secret Love Song
Secret Love Song (Pt. II)
Black Magic

Love Me Like You.
Love Me Or Leave Me
Weird People
I Won't
A.D.I.D.A.S
The End
Lightning
The Beginning
OMG
I Love You
Clued Up

And, after the incredible Get Weird Live Tour, I'm i love with the album even more. Little Mix release their next album, Glory Days, later this month - be sure to pop back to see how their fourth album compares to their third.


No comments:

Post a Comment